Sunday, March 04, 2007

Strike Two For East Roy: Coco La Ti Da Shuttered

I think 809 E Roy Street is officially cursed, especially when a good restaurant moves into the place. First it was Fork. Now, Coco La Ti Da is closing its doors, just a few months after it opened (and when I wrote about the great time we had there).

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is McCown's quoted reason for parting ways:
McCown said balancing wholesale and retail operations proved to be too much. "I'm not the business side of it, I'm the creative side. I was getting farther and farther away from what I wanted to do."
I can understand being overwhelmed and having to do stuff you don't want to do. But, come on, Sue: you've been in the biz a while now. Wasn't the work required to keep wholesale and retail open foreseen? And, even if it wasn't, couldn't you have hired someone to help with the business end of things?

Every time we visited Coco, the place was packed. And the food & drink wasn't cheap, so I'm guessing revenue wasn't the reason Coco's shuttering.

I suppose it's more complicated than what Sue decided to share with the restaurant beat critic at the Seattle Times. Still, I'll lament the fact that there's now one less dessert place in the neighborhood.

No comments: