Sunday, October 29, 2006

I'm Fed Up With Political Ads

The November elections are but days away, and while I know how I'm going to vote, I also know I'll be entering the voting booth with tense shoulders, a headache, and a sneer on my face. The reason? Political ads. They're everywhere.

They show up in my mailbox, as printed multi-color cardstock ads. They appear as pre-recorded messages on my answering machine, from people who I think I'm supposed to relate to, or otherwise trust the opinion of. They appear on television, with large red titles, slow-motion video, and voice overs more appropriate for thriller film previews than anything else. They appear as signage on the side of the road. They even appear online, when I browse to local sites like the Seattle Times, ironically while reading an article about online political ads.

It's sad that there's a drag-race of sorts in the arena of political advertisements. Clearly campaigners must have evidence that these ads work, so they're pouring bucketfuls of money into all these channels, in an effort to sway the handful percent of undecided voters. And, most of the ads lately are much more in the "mudsling" camp, spreading fear, doubt, and uncertainty over anything else.

All I see in the ads is fear: fear that social security will be taken away, fear that terrorists will attack us, fear that immigrants will steal our jobs, fear that the economy will head south, fear that liberties we enjoy today will be gone tomorrow, fear of change, and fear of no change. Yes, we elect people to do certain things, and take certain stands that we want them to. But, I'm hard-pressed to find another job that someone has to apply for that depends so much on spreading fear about what would happen if the candidate was not elected.

So, until election day rolls around, I'll be shutting my eyes and plugging my ears next time I see or hear one of these ads. I've made up my mind as to how I'll vote, and I've done so without these multi-million dollar ad campaigns.

No comments: