Monday, May 07, 2007

License To Abridge

I came across Compact Classics today, modern life's apparent answer to the lack of time to read classic novels. From the sales copy:
WHAT ARE COMPACT EDITIONS? Compact Editions are some of the greatest books ever written, but they have been sympathetically edited so that most of them are under 400 pages. They retain all the elements of the originals: the plot, the characters, the social, historical and local backgrounds and the authors' language and style. The reductions in length have been done with sensitivity and in no way detract from the spirit of the original.
Whoa, hold on. These are classics like David Copperfield, Jane Eyre, and Moby Dick. Sure, they're not the shortest of books. But chopping them down to make them sellable to people to busy for them? Well, I don't buy it. I don't care how "sympathetic" the edits are. They're edits. They're changes to the original work, done by someone who's not the author. That means you're not reading the original book.

What's next? A version of Mahler's Ring cycle cut down to just a few arias for each opera? Movies edited to just the action scenes?

I'm all about making things easier or more efficient. But I draw the line when it comes to art.

3 comments:

Fay said...

Haaahahaa. You know who'd appreciate the Mahler reference? Your dad, that's who. Is he savvy enough to read your blog?

(I'm home from my honeymoon. Thank you for coming and for the gift! You are awesome, and everything is sparkly and shiny and in a big pile in my living room. Send help. And tell Traci hello!)

George said...

He's not a big online reader, at least not yet. I'm trying to change that.

Welcome back! Send pictures. :)

lexspoon said...

Heheh, are you sure Moby Dick is not an unfortunate example? I could not stand that endlessly rambling book!

I have to admit, though, I can't really see myself reading one of these abridged works. I'm not sure who is buying them. If you want lighter reading, there is plenty to choose from.